Who can use the CareLink befriending scheme?
CarelinK is for older people over the age of 65 living in Keighley and surrounding villages who live alone and don’t have many visitors.
Older people can become isolated for various reasons such as:
- Ill- health
- Reduced mobility
- Following a stay in hospital
- When relatives move away
- Loss of confidence
Who are CarelinK Volunteer Befrienders?
CarelinK Befrienders are people aged 18 to 90 who volunteer to give their time freely.
- Befrienders are vetted, DBS (police)checked and provide references.
- Befrienders are reliable, patient and friendly. They are good listeners and enjoy the company of older people.
- Befrienders usually offer their services for a minimum period of six months.
- Befrienders receive appropriate training and on-going support.
- Volunteer befrienders are unpaid but are reimbursed by Carelink for travel costs and out of pocket expenses.